Historical Background

The House of Canadian Students was established in the early 1920s at the initiative of Philippe Roy, High-Commissioner of the Canadian government. While looking for a patron, he met the Montreal senator Joseph-Marcelin Wilson, who brought in three-quarters of the funds necessary to lay the first stone in 1926.

Thus, the original building is contemporary with the creation of the Cité universitaire site. Fruit of a Franco-Canadian collaboration between the French architect Émile Thomas and the Canadian architect Georges Vanier, it included only the main wing of the present building stretching along the Jourdan Boulevard. Today, the House of Canadian Students, having undergone major restoration operations (1967-1969; 1984-1985; 2005-2006), has increased its capacity (from 49 to 150 units) and comfort.

Renovations:
afew
important
dates

  • 1967-1969
  • 1984-1985
  • 1989
  • 2005-2006
  • 2016
In the late 1960s, the House was enlarged through the addition of two wings facing the park and starting from both ends of the existing building. This renovation helped creating public areas and increasing the number of rooms to 102.
Attics are reorganized (connecting the old building with the wings built in 1969). The large living room is refurbished, with the creation of a library and a small TV room.
Façades undergo a facelift.
Thanks to the financial participation of the Canadian government and the Canada Committee of the MEC, the House undertook in 2005-2006 a major renovation project with three main objectives, namely the modernization of the comfort, the reorganization of certain accommodation areas and the improvement of the communication facilities offered to the residents.